Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Is drywall an electrical hazard?

Eigenvector wrote:
Sorry, didn't have another way to say it. Anyway, while hacking the drywall
to see if the old Romex was stapled to the wall I got plaster on the wire
side of the outlet. Made me wonder, if I have old drywall dust on the
outlet is that a fire hazard? Sweeping it away is of course an option and I
did but at the time it fell on the outlet it was live and I didn't want to
get electricuted.

I know drywall is fire rated, but is it a conductor of electricity?

The answer is No. Electrical boxes often have
drywall dust in them because the drywallers are
not careful. It is not a problem until you get it
wet (and then it would be the water that is the
conductor).