Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default VGA plug wiring advice needed

Tim Sampson wrote:
Hi Folks

I've got myself in a right pickle trying to fix the broken cable on my
TFT monitor. It's a Mitac MT-15AX1-NBU. I need to replace the 15 pin plug
but due to an unfortunate turn of events, I don't know what pins some of
the wires should solder to.

What I'm fairly sure about:

1 Red coaxial wire (RED)
2 Green coaxial wire (GREEN)
3 Blue coaxial wire (BLUE)
4 Short purple wire (ID GND)
5 Brown wire (GND)
6 Bridged with 7 & 8 (RED GND)
7 Bridged with 6 & 8 (GREEN GND)
8 Bridged with 6 & 7 (BLUE GND)
9 (+5v)
10 (Sync return/GND)
11 (ID GND)
12 Green wire (ID1/Data)
13 (Hz Sync)
14 Yellow wire (Vert Sync)
15 Orange wire (ID3/Clock)

The mystery wires:

A grey coaxial wire (thick like the R,G,B wires)
A black wire
The purple wire is a short length which does not continue up the cable to
the monitor, so probably loops to another pin.

I guessed that the grey coaxial wire might be Horizontal Sync. When it is
connected to pin 13, I get a very red, fuzzy picture.

Can anyone figure out how I should connect my mystery wires?

TIA
Tim

Do you still have the broken plug? When I've replaced those plugs
before, I used an ohm meter to identify the wires on the plug.