Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Henry St.Pierre Henry St.Pierre is offline

Default If you could ...

"Bill" wrote in
:

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 15:52:15 +0000, Mike Paulson wrote:
start all over again in this hobby / business / trade, what mistakes
did

Books, videos, demonstrations, and symposiums are all
sources of woodturning knowledge, but private instruction is *BY FAR*
the best way to mastery. Do yourself a favor, treat yourself to some
lessons, and maximize the fun and satisfaction from your time spent
at the lathe.

-mike paulson, fort collins, co

While I have not yet had any private instruction, I did just recently
view my first video (Woodturning: Fundamentals of Sharpening) from
AAW. It was a good thing to see skilled hands performing this
essential skill.

I'll take that back ... I took a class at Woodcraft in using the
router. In that case (and having been an instructor myself) I don't
think I got my money's worth. But there are any number of individuals
(including a couple I know locally) who I'd like to learn from.
Although I'll agree that the education I might get from it would be
more than worth the expense, traveling somewhere in order to pay a
high tuition for a week or even a weekend, just isn't possible for me
just yet.

I had high hopes for that router class, but the joints I made (using
the instructors jigs) were better than the ones he made using the same
jigs. Printed material for the class consisted of Shop Notes
photocopies and he touched on too many topics to actually teach any of
them ... finally ending the class a half-hour early so some of the
guys could go watch some game or other.

Even so, I'll be keeping an eye out for a local class from a better
instructor.

Good tip.

Thanks,
Bill