Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fractions (was: Tape measure in Tenths of an inch)

In article .com,
wrote:

CW wrote:
wrote in message
s.com...

Puckdropper wrote:
You can teach that in theory and suggest they try it on homework (Ooh,
story problems!) You can even require they use that method on the
homework and take off points if they don't. (Give them points for a
correct answer if they use another method, but not all the points.)

John measures a board's thickness and it's 6/8". He wants to add a 1/8"
thick border around the outside. How thick will the final piece be?

3/4"

Adding a border around the edge of a board does not change
it's thickness.

If three frogs are sitting on a log and one of them takes a
notion to jump off, how many frogs are left on the log?

3

Correct.

One frog took a a notion to jump off, he didn't actually do it.

I'm taking a notion to get back to work now...

The quesetion can't really be answered with the information provided.
WE know that three frogs were sitting on the log to start, but the
question asks, how many are left on the log? Since we aren't told how
many frogs are on the log that are NOT sitting, the question cannot be
answered.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -