Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question about laminating 3 pieces of 1/4" birch plywood

In article ,
Dick Snyder wrote:
I'm making a book case for my daughter and she wants a curved top. I have
made a form over which to do the bending but I am having a problem with the
1/4" plywood splitting. I can not use 3/4" plywood and make cuts in one side
as both the top and bottom with be visible so I decided to laminate 3 pieces
of 1/4" plywood. I plan to use polyurethane glue to do the lamination but I
need to conquer this splitting problem. I would appreciate any help you can
offer.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

How are the splits happpening? Is the plywwod actually cracking or is
it delamination? Splitting is a little vague here.

What is the radius of the curve? Perhaps instead of 3 piesces of 1/4"
you could try 6 pieces of 1/8" Baltic birch.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -