Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default Blade Guard on a Table Saw?

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 06:09:34 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"Dave Jackson" wrote in message
A little backround....I'm a carpenter for a living and can say that the
chances of finding a blade guard on any jobsite table saw (mine included)

is
slim to none.

You're right about that ... however, as a builder, I often count fewer
fingers on jobsites than should be.

However, I recently bought a cabinet saw for the shop and would like to

find
a decent guard. I tried the excalibur guard I got at auction out today

and
find it a little clunky at the blade cover, although with some re
engineering I think I can make it workable. --dave

I really like my Uniguard ... has an excellent splitter, two guards that can
be used independently and/or swung up out of the way, and it can be removed
in less time than it takes to tell.

In short, it is "convenient" ... a quality which fosters use.

When I cut sheet goods I use a guard that I made from plywood that
encompass the blade and that is attached to a section of 1-1/2" pipe,
which is connected to the dust collector. It is suspended from the
ceiling over the saw.

This is a great comfort, particularly when cutting MDF, as the flow
from both above and below takes away most of the offending dust.

When I cut solid stock, particularly "interesting" stock that may be
reaction wood and needs a bit of visual monitoring, I take the guard
off.

I also do not use hearing protection when doing this.

I want to see and hear and feel how that piece is going through that
saw.

If the accumulated wisdom of my senses tells me to bail on that cut, I
want to be able to shut that saw down with a clear understanding of
the problem that made that necessary.

I, like you, have been running equipment for about forty years.

This is my choice of how to get by with good results, both from the
safety and the production end.

I have, as do all of those that I respect, all of my digits.

The mind is the best and most appropriate safety device.

I understand that when talking on the Wreck we are addressing multiple
understandings of the process and multiple levels of experience.

I would simply like to preach the gospel of mind as the premier safety
device, as slavish dependence on contrivances does not answer fully.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/