Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen Ron Magen is offline

Default Question about laminating 3 pieces of 1/4" birch plywood

Dick,
I'm with Lew about the Epoxy. If not that, I'd go with Titebond II or III
before the poly.

Steam, soak, or 'local hot towel' if you want to use the stuff you already
have.

Cut your pieces 'over length' by a good bit. Re-make the form with a tighter
curve then the finished lamination {to allow for 'springback'}. Soak the
pieces - in the bathtub if necessary. {If still not long enough . . . lay
out a piece of plastic, put hot-water soaked bath towels on it, lay the
strips of ply on the towels and roll them up, wrapping the plastic around
all.}

Take out the ply strips, and clamp to form, piece by piece. Either 'square'
at one end and let the other 'stairstep', or let both ends 'stairstep'. DO
NOT glue and use LOTS of clamps. Let completely dry . . . I'd go at least a
week.

When dry, unclamp, apply glue, and re-clamp. After another week, unclamp,
sand sides, and trim to square off ends. Do whatever edge treatment you want
and trim to final size just before assembly.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
I'm making a book case for my daughter and she wants a curved top. I have
made a form over which to do the bending but I am having a problem with

the
1/4" plywood splitting. I can not use 3/4" plywood and make cuts in one

side
as both the top and bottom with be visible so I decided to laminate 3

pieces
of 1/4" plywood. I plan to use polyurethane glue to do the lamination but

need to conquer this splitting problem. I would appreciate any help you

can
offer.

TIA.

Dick Snyder