Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Daneliuk Tim Daneliuk is offline

Default Rob offers his apologies.

wrote:
SNIP

So I conclude that you do NOT read any newpapers
or watch any television stations or listen
to any radio from predominantly Muslim nations.
I do not, therefor I do not know if what you say is
true or not.

But it is becoming clearer that you do not know if
it is true or not.

Let's deconstruct your logic above to expose it for the foolishness
it is. From your comments above it follows that:

1) Anything other than the native tongue is not "representative"
of the worldview of the speaker in question.

Non Sequitor.

That does not follow from my conclusion that it is
prudent to suppose that English-Language webpages
are written specifically to cater to the putative
'world view' of native speakers of English.

2) We cannot reliably know things translated from and by the people
of a given region who *intended* for us to read/hear/see these
things in *our* native tongue.

Non-Sequitor

That does not follow from my conclusion that we
(meaning you or I) do not know that the webages
are translations of anything that was published
in any other languages, or representative thereof.

Baloney - you are tap dancing to avoid the (obvious) conclusion
that there is a dearth of condemnation worldwide from Islamic
leadership and clergy as regards to Islamic extremism. Your
argument comes down to "You don't read Arabic (or the other
native languages in question) so you can't know what's going on."
It's absurdity after absurdity to prop up an worldview predicated
on absurdity.

3) In fact, this problem is so bad, that even when reading a
breadth of perspectives translated into English - perspectives
ranging from hardcore Islamist to hardcore Zionist to something
in between - we *still* can't know anything ... because they're
not being read in their native tongues. (P.S and big hint, MEMRI,
in particular was specifically created to make speeches and writings
in Arabic available in English by means of high-quality translations.)

Non-Sequitor

That does not follow from my conclusion that we
(meaning you or I) do not know that the webages
are translations of anything that was published
in any other language.

That isn't remotely what you said originally, but this
paragraph, at least, is true as written. But it's a
tautology. You can never know exactly what you haven't
read or don't know... this is self-evident. But when
we listen carefully to key opinion leaders in the
Islamic world: The clerics in Mecca & Medinah, the leadership
of key nations like Iran and Syria - what do we hear?
Anti-Israeli hatred, Anti-Western hatred, calls for jihad,
and absolute silence on the actions of the radicals.
Oh, I forgot, they actually *are* condemning them in Arabic,
but keeping it a secret from the English speaking world.

A broad spectrum of writing published for native speakers
of English and catering to their 'world-view' is STILL
writtne for native speakers fo English and STILL caters
to their 'world-view

Therefo

4) You are hereby prohibited from expressing any opinion about France,
Italy, Norway, Russia, China, et al unless you are a native speaker
reader of their respective languages. So, unless you have mastery
of many languages as a minimum cost of entry, you have no place
ever discussing geopolitics again.

As is usual with your type you have decided, _a priori_
on your conclusions and then go out to look for evidence
to support it. Upon finding little or no such evidence
you than take non-evidence and falsely claim that it
suports your conclusion.

Then you assert a (God-given, one supposes) right to
direct others to cease and desist from challenging you.

No, I derived my conclusions from *your* predicates. The fact
that the conclusions are stupid are a direct consequence of
similarly stupid predicates. You've got a degenerate
worldview and it leads to degenerate conclusions - that's all
I was demonstrating. I don't actually *think* you should not
comment on geopolitics. I merely was demonstrating that this
is the natural conclusion of following *your* assumptions.

.
5) (And here's the real genius of your argument): I argued that there
was a "deafening silence" when reading the arguments of the Arab
world to the English speaking world. Your conclusion is that the
English translations are not "reliable" and that we "don't know"
whether there is widespread pressure by Islamic "moderates" upon their
radical brethren. So, (using your impeccable logic), we're left
with two possibilities:

Oh, here is another tactic popular with your type.
Realizing that your argument is being exposed
as the crap it is, you are now changing it to
another argument, substantively different from
what you earlier asserted. Now you are restricting
that 'deafening silence' to "FROM the Arab world
TO the English speaking world" (emphacis mine).

Sorry Sparky, you changed the context of the debate, not
me. I assert and reaffirm that there is largely silence
around the Islamic world from its leaders and clerics
as regards to radical activities within its community.
*You* are the one who wandered into the "but we don't
read Arabic so we cannot know this" desert. I believe
that a breadth of reportage' - in English - from the
regions in question can give us a pretty meaningful
perspective on what is going on there. You are clinging
to the last hope you have of propping up your silly
worldview by retreating to a ridiculous linguistic
argument.

Previously you referred to "the deafening silence
heard through the overwhelming part of the Islamic
world"

*I* have heard heard Muslims condemning senseless
violence, specifically in response to the rioting that
followed the Danish cartoons. Maybe that is because
I listen to PRI, NPR, and C-Span.

E.g. one Pakistani, when asked if he found the cartoons
offensive replied, "Yes, I am offended by the cartoons.
But I am more offended by the violent reaction to the
cartoons. Burning a church does not restore my
dignity. Killing a Christian does not restore my dignity."
and so on.

It took me all of thirty seconds to find these examples
of that deafening silence using just one of your