Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Foundations basics

Andrew Welham wrote:
Phil L wrote:

each of the man holes is approx 270CM from the house at their closest
point, and are running with the long side of the man hole parallel to
the house. I was considering having the wall parallel with the house
at about that point, but unfortunately the drains are in the way so i
was going to go just the other side of the man hole covers.

These drains are going to cause you a lot of headaches unless you A) build
on the inside of them, or B) re-route them

3) where is your existing garage

see the new link
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~awel...undations2.gif

I see.

thanks of that i was unsure if that would have the required strength.

Strength isn't an issue where two buildings join, neither is holding the
other up, they are essentially sepereate buildings next to each other.

I plan to do this work my self, and therefore would be interested to
understand why using rafts would cost an additional 20K????

You don't mention the meterage of the area you want to build on, but
a raft is a lot of work and a lot of muck has to come out, more
importantly a lot of concrete has to go back in, even doing it in
one big raft would be extremely costly but you want to do it in 3
stages, making it triply so.

I want to go about 3.5 M from the house and 8M across to form all 3
rooms. This excludes the garage which is currently the drive way, on
a 1960s semi. Sorry don't have the exact measurements at the moment.

depending on where it is, don't expect change out of 70 grand.

The reason to build room one first i the immediate need for space.
then the garage to allow the old garage to be knocked down in stage 3.

It's cheaper (a lot!) to have it built as one.

That can be avoided by not having a garage door on the front, then
it's just a workshop

thanks for that again i was just trying to save space internally

Lastly I didn’t win the lottery just learning about building.

Don't approach the building inspector for a chat with these ideas,
firstly he won't listen to you until your plans have been submitted,
and secondly, you need to get proper plans drawn up by a competent
person, but doing it in seperate stages will escalate the costs
through the roof, you are basically proposing to build 3 seperate
extensions

I agree i am not yet ready to approach the inspector. I do how ever
want to plan end entire build prior to creating the plans to ensure
that i don't draw plans which can't be built

The person who draws the plans will be up to speed on regulations,
calculations and everything else and he will ensure that they will pass
before submitting them on your behalf.

I assume that i can apply for the building as a whole and then
construction can be in a phased approach. Planning and
building/inspection are two completely separate tasks?

In some cases yes and no!

In this case I fear you would have to submit each plan as a seperate entity,
it's highly unlikely that any kind of raft would be allowed to go in in
stages....if you built the whole thing on strip footings, then I don't see a
problem, except much higher costs and lengthy disruption but if you don't
care about these then it's up to you.