Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Welham Andrew Welham is offline

Default Foundations basics

Phil L wrote:
Andrew Welham wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote:
Andrew Welham wrote:

8. Is there any other way to build right up against a boundary
without impacting the neighbours land?
9. Any concerns the building inspector would have when they see
this??
I will let others answer the rest of the questions but you will need
to consider the implications of the Party Wall Act since you want to
build so close to your neighbour assuming his house is also close to
the boundary. Details are here

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts1996/1996040.htm

The effect of the Act is to ensure that any work you do is done a in
satisfactory way and does not cause problems to your neighbour. You
have to pay all the costs associated with the Act.

Peter Crosland

First of all apologies for using the wrong terms, I have not been
involved in this type of work before.

Aplogies for being 'terse' but my nobbies[1] are crippling me
There are a number of reasons for my original (maybe flawed) thinking:
The drain pipe runs behind all the houses in my road collecting sewage
from each house as it goes. Therefore in order to redirect the pipe I
need to dig up my garage and the neighbours patios on each side. My
intention is to cause as little impact to my neighbours as possible &
and not remove the old garage until later in the built. For the above
reasons I don’t think the pipe can be re routed.

A few questions he
1) how do you know that the drain runs along this line?

all the neighbors have drains in similar positions and i have seen the
drain on the council plans.

2) how far from the house is it?

each of the man holes is approx 270CM from the house at their closest
point, and are running with the long side of the man hole parallel to
the house. I was considering having the wall parallel with the house at
about that point, but unfortunately the drains are in the way so i was
going to go just the other side of the man hole covers.

3) where is your existing garage

see the new link
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~awel...undations2.gif

A statement was made that I will need to cover the entire pipes in
concrete, does this mean I will need to lower the man holes an cover
them as well ??? Basically meaning there will be no access to the
pipes from my land in the future?

If there are manholes there, they will need to stay there (in the middle of
your room(s), hence my advice to sling the lot and start from scratch,
unless you want someone to start removing carpets and rodding sewage out of
your house in years to come - manholes are there for one reason - to remove
blockages) - even if you go down this route, the actual pipes will still
require to be encased in concrete.

There are two reasons I am considering rafts.
1. To get maximum utilisation of space

It's not worth it.

2. More importantly, if I don’t use rafts the wall on the right hand
side (from the house) of room one will join the house at the frame of
the patio door, and I’m not sure how I would tie the wall to the
house? Would I be allowed to extend the wall which once held the
patio door to fill the gap. I would have thought this would have been
a point of weakness?

It doesn't matter where it joins onto the house, pillars will be built and
tied into existing brickwork.

thanks of that i was unsure if that would have the required strength.

I plan to do this work my self, and therefore would be interested to
understand why using rafts would cost an additional 20K????

You don't mention the meterage of the area you want to build on, but a raft
is a lot of work and a lot of muck has to come out, more importantly a lot
of concrete has to go back in, even doing it in one big raft would be
extremely costly but you want to do it in 3 stages, making it triply so.

I want to go about 3.5 M from the house and 8M across to form all 3 rooms.
This excludes the garage which is currently the drive way, on a 1960s
semi. Sorry don't have the exact measurements at the moment.

The reason to build room one first i the immediate need for space.
then the garage to allow the old garage to be knocked down in stage 3.

The questions about the designation of a garage. The reason for this
question is that I believe if the building is designated as living
area then I need to build cavity walls, but for a garage I only need
a single layer wall. Also the roof designs are different warn vs.
cold.

For the amount you would save by not insulating the walls and roof, I
wouldn't bother, and a single skinned wall will get damp eventually for the
sake of a few hundred quids worth of blocks and fibreglass.

Ideally I would like to build a single layer wall (cold roof), but
without all the additional requirements for a garage such as fire
doors, 12 inch step to stop patrol fumes rising. As I won’t be
storing a car in the building.

That can be avoided by not having a garage door on the front, then it's just
a workshop

thanks for that again i was just trying to save space internally

Lastly I didn’t win the lottery just learning about building.

Don't approach the building inspector for a chat with these ideas, firstly
he won't listen to you until your plans have been submitted, and secondly,
you need to get proper plans drawn up by a competent person, but doing it in
seperate stages will escalate the costs through the roof, you are basically
proposing to build 3 seperate extensions

I agree i am not yet ready to approach the inspector. I do how ever want
to plan end entire build prior to creating the plans to ensure that i
don't draw plans which can't be built

I assume that i can apply for the building as a whole and then
construction can be in a phased approach. Planning and
building/inspection are two completely separate tasks?

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .