Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default The Stand- By demon

Ian Stirling wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

Anyone want to work out how long a TV has to be left on standby to equal
one trip to Torremolinos?? :-)

Well, lets have a go...

Google earth recons the distance from Gatwick is 1025 miles...

lets go on a 777, with a passenger capacity of 440 people flying cattle
class. Max range about 6000 miles, max fuel load 120,000 L - so call it
a 1/3rd of a tank there and back. So 40,000 L of fuel, or 90 L (or
about 80kg) per passenger. Lets say we get 42MJ/kg that gives us 3360MJ
of energy.

Err - no.

Your TV on standby consuming 0.8W running 24/7 365 will use about 25MJ...

Unless your TV runs on AVgas, you've got to multiply by the average
efficiency of an oil power station - say 60MJ of oil used.

Yes fair point... although the perhaps fiddle factor ought to take into
account the proportion of non (directly) contributing nuclear electric
generated in the UK.

And the issue isn't really the TVs using 60MJ, it's the few year old
TVs using 10W.

Don't think I have ever seen one using that much. Even my 12 year old
29" Sony is under 2W in standby.

700MJ or so per year.
Or a flight every 4 years, rather than 134. Hardly peanuts.

That was a shortish flight, assuming the whole aircraft was one class
giving a higher passenger density. Go for a longer trip, on an aircraft
with club and first class, and there would also be a jump in oil burnt
per passenger that could be quite significant. There are also plenty of
old less efficient aircraft in use.

swings and roundabouts!

Most newer stuff uses less power than most older stuff.

Although there is a trend toward "bigger and better" in AV gear which
offsets some of the efficiency gains.

--
Cheers,

John.