Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Welham Andrew Welham is offline

Default Foundations basics

Peter Crosland wrote:
Andrew Welham wrote:

8. Is there any other way to build right up against a boundary without
impacting the neighbours land?
9. Any concerns the building inspector would have when they see this??

I will let others answer the rest of the questions but you will need to
consider the implications of the Party Wall Act since you want to build so
close to your neighbour assuming his house is also close to the boundary.
Details are here

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts1996/1996040.htm

The effect of the Act is to ensure that any work you do is done a in
satisfactory way and does not cause problems to your neighbour. You have to
pay all the costs associated with the Act.

Peter Crosland

First of all apologies for using the wrong terms, I have not been
involved in this type of work before.

There are a number of reasons for my original (maybe flawed) thinking:
The drain pipe runs behind all the houses in my road collecting sewage
from each house as it goes. Therefore in order to redirect the pipe I
need to dig up my garage and the neighbours patios on each side. My
intention is to cause as little impact to my neighbours as possible &
and not remove the old garage until later in the built. For the above
reasons I don’t think the pipe can be re routed.

A statement was made that I will need to cover the entire pipes in
concrete, does this mean I will need to lower the man holes an cover
them as well ??? Basically meaning there will be no access to the pipes
from my land in the future?

There are two reasons I am considering rafts.
1. To get maximum utilisation of space
2. More importantly, if I don’t use rafts the wall on the right hand
side (from the house) of room one will join the house at the frame of
the patio door, and I’m not sure how I would tie the wall to the house?
Would I be allowed to extend the wall which once held the patio door to
fill the gap. I would have thought this would have been a point of weakness?

I plan to do this work my self, and therefore would be interested to
understand why using rafts would cost an additional 20K????

The questions about the designation of a garage. The reason for this
question is that I believe if the building is designated as living area
then I need to build cavity walls, but for a garage I only need a single
layer wall. Also the roof designs are different warn vs. cold.

Ideally I would like to build a single layer wall (cold roof), but
without all the additional requirements for a garage such as fire doors,
12 inch step to stop patrol fumes rising. As I won’t be storing a car in
the building.

Lastly I didn’t win the lottery just learning about building.

Many Thanks

Andrew

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .