Ed Huntress

Default OT - Gunner Quote - for Gunner and all the Gunnettes

"Tom" wrote in message

What the NYYC spent on winning the Cup in the court rooms over
the years would probably have been greater than the GDP of many
countries..:-)

FWIW, there isn't a yachtsman in the world who fully trusts the Kiwis

after
that escapade. It may be the greatest example of poor sportsmanship in

the
annals of international sport.

Ed Huntress

Of course Dennis Conner & his catamaran was the "real thing"?
Real sporting and in the spirit of the deed! Yeah, right!

That was in response to the 128-footer. They weren't going to let those
jerks get away with it, and they didn't. More power to him. It may have
saved the Cup for the rest of the world, because the holder of the Cup set
the rules in those days. In the case of the US, holding the cup after that
little Kiwi adventure, they worked out a plan with the IYRU that kept it
from happening ever again.

By the way, it's interesting that Dennis doesn't share your
views on Kiwi yachties, isn't it? But then he's man enough to
admit that Kiwi skippers have proved to be the best in the last
3 Cup regattas...

They're excellent skippers. And Dennis is too much of a gentleman to say
what's been on the mind of long-time international yachtsmen ever since. I
know a few.

As for poor sportsmanship, I think we're quite happy to abide
by world opinion, lets face it, it's more informed..

You no longer have a choice.

I'll suppose next, you'll want to bring how we told the US to
**** off with their nuclear armed navy?

Not likely. I don't recall ever having initiated a flame with you, Tom.
That's your specialty, armed as you are with an endless stream of
anti-American resentments. As for my opinion of New Zealand, I happen to
like lamb quite a lot.

Ed Huntress