Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default What Dumpster Size For 865 sq.ft. House Removal

In article , "Glen Cooper" wrote:
Wow that's a lot. I will definitely keep that in mind. I had no idea.
Usenet is great.

Thanks to all for the fast responses. I guess the 40 would be the best
choice afterall.

Not necessarily. Working alone, you're not going to be able to fill that up
very fast, and you'll be paying rental for a mostly empty dumpster most of the
time. Even if you have a hundred cubic yards total, you may be better off
renting ten- or twenty-yard dumpsters repeatedly, rather than a 40-yard unit
that will be half-empty for several weeks. It takes one man a *long* time to
do enough demolition work to fill a 40-yard dumpster.

You may be able to avoid that particular problem by not renting the dumpster
until after the demolition is complete: once you have the structure torn down
and cut up into pieces you can handle alone, you should be able to fill a
40-yard container in a week easily.

Local zoning and health-and-safety ordinances may not permit you to leave that
much trash lying around for as long as it will take, though.

And that raises another point: you probably will need a permit from the
city/town/whatever to do the demolition.

--
Regards,