Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike Paulson Mike Paulson is offline

Default If you could ...

start all over again in this hobby / business / trade, what mistakes did
you make the first time around that you'd skip on the second go around?

Instruction. If I had it to do over again, I'd get lots of expert
instruction from day one. It's too hard to try to discover everything
about woodturning on your own. Getting started right can save years and
years of mistakes and frustration. Musicians take lessons, athletes have
coaches, why would we as woodturners want to give up the advantage of
instruction and learn the hard way? I know it's fun to tinker and figure
things out for ourselves, but it's called "learning the hard way" for a
reason. Woodturning should be fun. How many beginners experience catches
or are afraid of their skew? How fun is that? And learn from true
experts - they won't start you down the wrong path like some
less-than-experts who only think they know what they are doing. Learn to
be versatile. Learn many ways to make a cut, mount a blank, apply a
finish, or anything else we do. Then you can choose the most ideal method
for each particular instance and not do everything the same way because
it's the only way you know. Knowledge is the key to fun and success in
woodturning. Books, videos, demonstrations, and symposiums are all
sources of woodturning knowledge, but private instruction is *BY FAR* the
best way to mastery. Do yourself a favor, treat yourself to some lessons,
and maximize the fun and satisfaction from your time spent at the lathe.

-mike paulson, fort collins, co