Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] barry@sme-online.com is offline

Default Blade Guard on a Table Saw?

David wrote:
Samson wrote:
I haven't used a blade guard for years, but was reading a book
today on table saws that insisted to use them whenever possible.

Question: Do you use one? If not, why not?

NO. I'm not going to stick my feet in my lawnmower and I'm not going to
put my hands into my tablesaw blade. The guard is more trouble that
it's worth. If I was cutting tons of MDF all day, then a guard with DC
would be a must.

Dave

How about another similar bone-of-contention for some years back-
seat-belts in cars. In that case, too, the unexpected happened very
quickly,
leaving you no options. Even using them, you still have to drive
reasonably;
in neither case could you be said to be recklessly risking yourself in
traffic.

Seat belts are probably a bother and a nuisance to some, for a while.
My sons were gotten accustomed to them from their first ride, and feel
very exposed now, in their twenties, without being buckled in. One of
them is alive because of using proper restraints; the other escaped
possibly major injury.

If you're going to be involved in sports-car competition, you will have
an
approved 5-point harness strapping you in. No discussion.

If I use proper safety-equipment and procedures on t/s, I can make my
probability of amputation be zero. Saves cleaning up blood-spatter too.

HTH,