Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default Blade Guard on a Table Saw?

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 01:02:05 GMT, "CW" wrote:

I don't believe it.

Nor do I. But at least it is more believable than the guy who was
posting on the Saw Stop thread that his wife was a surgeon that does a
thousand a year.

It doesn't correlate statistically with my experience as a maker of
saws in defense of personal injury claims and providing individuals as
technical experts in depositions.

This is an important matter. David should authenticate if it is true.

Table saws are inherently dangerous and all should be encouraged to
use their guards, splitters, and pushsticks whenever possible, and
their minds in all cases. UL/CSA standards committees should be
encouraged to provide standards that would allow manufacturers to
provide OEM guarding that is "practical" and effective. That has not
always been the case.

There was a time, and it may have changed I'm several years out of the
business, that the very good aftermarket guards no matter what brand
could not have been supplied as standard equipment with UL/CSA saws
because they didn't meet the standards. That doesn't make sense.

Frank

"David" wrote in message
I'll side with Mortimer and Nigel. As a hand surgeon, I've probably
cared for close to 1000 table saw injuries in my career.