Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default Blade Guard on a Table Saw?

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...

I suppose you'd have a big crisis if I mentioned I am also perfectly
comfortable cutting something freehand on a table saw as well! --dave

No, I won't have a big crisis from you mentioning it, but *you* will some

day
from *doing* it. That's just not a smart idea.

Not necessarily at all Doug. I'd agree that short cuts done free hand offer
a significant potential for problems. The smaller the piece, the more
likely it is that you can't control the travel of the piece through the
blade accurately enough to maintain a proper straight path. However, long
rips do not pose the same threats. He's not in any way guaranteed to have a
problem by cutting freehand - depending on what the definition of freehand
is. I have been forced to make many free hand cuts on a table saw over the
years. It's not my prefered technique or approach, but I've done it. You'd
have to do more than simply assert that this is something that *will* some
day result in a big crisis.

--

-Mike-