Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Blade Guard on a Table Saw?

In article .net, "Dave Jackson" wrote:
(snip) If anything, you're making a good argument *for* using the blade
guard!

I'm not trying to argue anything here. Just because YOU use one doesn't
mean everyone else should.

My point, which you appear to have missed, is that the failure of construction
workers to use guards means absolutely *nothing* with regard to whether doing
so is a good idea, or not -- in my experience and observation, most
construction workers use little if any safety equipment, even something as
basic as goggles when running a Sawzall *overhead*.

Have you ever run yours without a guard? And if
so, why are you using one now.

Yes, I have -- some cuts are impossible to make on my saw with the guard in
place. (I'm using the factory guard, which has an integral splitter. The
splitter has to come off for a dado or rabbet, which means the guard does
too.)

(snip) If you have not already learned to pay close attention, you shouldn't
be
operating the tool *with* a guard, let alone without one.

On the flip side, if you *truly* have learned to pay close attention to the
task at hand why would you need a guard?

Mostly because it provides a little extra protection for those moments when,
for whatever reason, that close attention wanders a bit.

Guards surely prevent accidents,
but accidents in the shop generally don't happen to someone who is aware of
, and more importantly knowledgeable, about what they are doing.

I disagree completely. I think a lot of accidents in the shop happen to people
who are knowledgeable and aware, but whose attention slips briefly at just the
wrong moment.

I suppose you'd have a big crisis if I mentioned I am also perfectly
comfortable cutting something freehand on a table saw as well! --dave

No, I won't have a big crisis from you mentioning it, but *you* will some day
from *doing* it. That's just not a smart idea.

--
Regards,