Posted to rec.woodworking
David David is offline

Default Blade Guard on a Table Saw?

I guess there are two "David"s, but I agree with the other one.

The other risks are the usual

No guard. Pushing a hand into the cutting path to block kickback. No
outfeed support, requiring a lot of downpressure at the end of the cut.
If it binds, the hand goes into the blade. (Sometimes even with a
pushstick.) The monotony of repetitive tasks. Alcohol (believe it or
not) and fatigue. Knots. Freehand cuts and pieces that are too small.
Failure to use pushsticks. Lots of injuries occur after the cut --
reaching over the blade and running a hand or forearm over the
invisible, spinning teeth. Distraction (either sudden - a tap on the
shoulder during a cut or chronic - dwelling on other problems while
working). Time pressure to finish a job. I believe that carelessness and
poor technique play a big role, but people differ on what they consider
careless (note the thread on "watching the blade"), and what is
appropriate technique.

David

David wrote:
Bruce Barnett wrote:

What are the most frequent causes to accidents with tablesaws?

Carelessness. Failure to understand and/or proper cutting techniques.