Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Blade Guard on a Table Saw?

In article , Bruce Barnett wrote:
(Doug Miller) writes:

3) Keep my eye on the blade, especially when it's spinning.

Why? What's it gonna do?

[snip]
You don't need to see it in order to
make a proper cut, because the cut path is determined by the setting of your
rip fence, miter gauge, or whatever you're using to guide the wood past the
blade. So what purpose does it serve to watch the blade?

It's dangerous after the cut as well. In repetitive cuts, I have to
move my hands, wood, etc in preparation for the next cut. Some
accidents occur when people watch other things, and forget about the
blade.

This, of course, is one very good reason to use a blade guard. The blade is
inside the guard. If you keep your fingers outside the guard, they won't hit
the blade.

If I take my eyes off the blade, I might get careless. It's hard to
forget about the blade if your eyes are on it.

If you truly *need* to be looking at the blade in order to remember that it's
dangerous, you probably should take up a safer hobby. Something like knitting.

--
Regards,