Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling Ian Stirling is offline

Default The Stand- By demon

John wrote:
At the place where I work they are embarking on a campaign on energy
reduction (no issues here) but they keep beating on about TVs left on
standby. Apparently it is going to destroy the planet.

Some of this debate misses one point.
You spend 20-50 quid per year on electricity running stuff in standby.
Where does this go?

Well - half probably goes to the generating company, and thence to
workers in the UK, to feed the UK economy.
All well and good.

But, the other half - or more - goes overseas.
Never mind that some of it goes to distastefull governments, this means
that for every pound that goes out of the UK, we have to sell something
overseas, or buy a pound less of stuff from abroad.

Buying in fuel from overseas hurts our economy.

Strangely, this isn't really the case for nuclear.

As all of the construction and employment happens for people in the UK,
and fuel isn't a cost.