Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doki Doki is offline

Default The Stand- By demon

wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
Cars are pointlessly overpowered to appeal to immature buyers,

But use rather less fuel than underpowered cars of yore.

Huh? Have you ever investigated the petrol consumption of (for
example) an Austin 7 from the 1930s, it's very economical.

I haven't, but I'll be a fiver that a Citroen AX will beat it.

Go and look up the power outputs of any old car (carburated) and their fuel
consumption and compare with any injection car. You'll see that the injected
car is doing a lot more with the petrol that's going into the engine. IIRC
MGBs have something like an 11 second 0-60 time and manage between 25 and
35mpg. Whereas my car will do 0-60 in 8 or 9 seconds and manage 50mpg if I
try.