Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Room thermometer

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:59:08 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Remi" wrote in message
I want a room thermometer that will instantly (or at least very quickly)
tell me the room temperature as I move from room to room. Is there such a
thing, and if so, where can I buy one? Thanks.

I don't know how instant they are, but Radio Shack sells digital
thermometers. You might need to put up with waiting a minute, but that's
certainly better than using a glass & liquid thermometer.

I just bought for 13 dollar at Lowes a small digital thermometer with
a remote sender for outside (which I also put in the basement and will
put in the attic. Claims to show temp to a tenth of a degree.

The inside temp reads about 5 degrees high. And the outside doesn't
say anytyhing when it is below 40 or so. The latter may be within
spec. I don't mind that the inside temp is wrong. I will calibrate
it with a good thermometer. Mostly I want to find out how hot it is
in the attic next summer, after all the conversations we had here.

Of course it doesn't change right away. The sensor is under the
cover, for one thing. But that means a breeze won't confuse it. I
think 3 or 4 minutes were enough, but it could have been mroe.

Harbor Freight has one like this, except the remote also displays the
temp on it. and the base thermometer shows current, and min and max
with the push of a button, and reset. But it's big and ugly.

Of course