Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default Need Advice Applying Grout

"Mike" wrote in message
news:srfZg.9429$cH6.4310@trnddc07...

"jeffreydesign" wrote in message
ups.com...
Here's what the MFG ought to tell you:

Porcelain tile is very hard and durable stuff and in the final
finishing process, microscopic pores are created that can trap a grout
haze if not sealed first. It really depends on the tile - if I am
installing a very dark tile with a very light colored grout (white
especially) I would absolutely seal it first. Otherwise, I would just
be very neat with my grout job and scrub it thoroughly without
disturbing the grout lines. Sometimes the haze is actually desirable
and it will give the tile a more even color and matte appearance, but
that's tricky stuff. Seal it first to be safe but only seal the TOP of
the tile FACE and try not to get too much sealer into the grooves in
between the tiles as it could actually diminish grout adhesion. I would
simply dab it on with a cheesecloth and wait 24 hours before grouting.

-Jeff

Called Mannington again today but didn't get an answer.
They referred me to three different organizations where I
left voice mail messages but didn't get a return call from
any of them. Mannington told me the porcelain tile is not glazed.
Thaks for your advice.

I read your message over the phone to my buddy (The tiles are unglazed light
gray in color and cost $8.00 each)
He decided to apply the grout w/o sealing them first. He reports the tiles
have "kind of a somwhat dusty surface"
so he's going to rinse them w/ a acid solution.

Too bad he didn't follow your advice.