Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default What Dumpster Size For 865 sq.ft. House Removal

Glen Cooper wrote:
Hello all. I've been searching the net today trying to determine the proper
size dumpster to rent to remove my mothers' old house my father built in the
back yard by extending the garage about 40 years ago.

The house is about 30 feet by 28 feet, one story, wood framed, it has 5
rooms, and a gable composite roof with about 3 layers of roofing and wood
siding.

It has a concrete slab that I really don't need to remove at the moment as
I'm mainly interested in making the property safe, the house is in really
bad shape and my 82 year old mother is their alone.

Will a 30 yard dumpster hold the walls and roof?...40 yard? What about a
20 yard? I know biger is better because it cost to dump but I don't have
much money, I'll be doing the work by myself.

Thanks
Ed

The house is 10 yards by 10 yards, or 100 square yards. Now imagine
the walls disappearing and you having only the floor and roof
(flattened). How tall would the pile be, maybe 2 feet (or 3). At 2
feet, you have 200 cubic yards. I bet if you are careful you can
compress it to maybe 100 cy.

That sounds like a lot, but I'm tired, so check the math.

A big factor in this is how much you compress it.

When you call, make sure you are telling them that you have C&D
material. That's a lot cheaper than garbage.