Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

Default What Dumpster Size For 865 sq.ft. House Removal

In article ,
says...

Hello all. I've been searching the net today trying to determine the proper
size dumpster to rent to remove my mothers' old house my father built in the
back yard by extending the garage about 40 years ago.

The house is about 30 feet by 28 feet, one story, wood framed, it has 5
rooms, and a gable composite roof with about 3 layers of roofing and wood
siding.

It has a concrete slab that I really don't need to remove at the moment as
I'm mainly interested in making the property safe, the house is in really
bad shape and my 82 year old mother is their alone.

Will a 30 yard dumpster hold the walls and roof?...40 yard? What about a
20 yard? I know biger is better because it cost to dump but I don't have
much money, I'll be doing the work by myself.

Thanks
Ed

We demolished a 28 x 12 one story portion of my home. That included 68 linear
feet of the 3 exterior walls and the 336 sq ft ceiling and roof, no interior
walls, no flooring, and just the roof structure (rafters, deck and shingles),
from the other 25 x 30 (750 sq ft) portion. Plus the cedar wall shingles from 3
sides of the 25 x 30 portion. Plus the debris from building the new walls and
roofs, although that was minimal compared to the teardown.

It took a 40 yard and an additional 20 yard container. We packed the dumpsters
layer by layer and they were completely full with very little wasted space. And
there was lots of smaller stuff left over that I bagged and threw away for
weeks.

You're gonna need a bigger dumpster. I would say you will go through two 40
yarders.

--
Dennis