Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop Dave Fawthrop is offline

Default Foundations basics

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:05:30 +0100, Owain
wrote:

|Andrew Welham wrote:
| I am looking to building above
| building code where ever possible to ensure maximum strength in the
| building.
|
|Why?
|
|And we don't have "building code" in this country; we have Building
|Regulations (or in Scotland, Building Standards).
|
| 9. Any concerns the building inspector would have when they see this??
|
|They'll want to see your plans, calculations, concrete specifications,
|and result of trial pit excavations. They'll probably want an
|architect's or structural engineer's stamp on them as well.

I remember finding a Building Inspector down a foundation trench, shoveling
the soil which had the consistency of heavy cornflakes (shale of made up
ground) I took his advice to put in a reinforced raft, like the rest of
the house. Do not believe anything till you have a hole.