Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
50 SOMETHING GAL 50 SOMETHING GAL is offline

Default Looking for HOME-REPAIR/REBUILDING SITES for rating contractors LOCALLY

I'm looking for websites and/or forums where I can research licensed
and/or independent HANDYMEN and CONTRACTORS (eg. plumber, roofer,
electrician etc.) --LOCALLY.

I have visited the site CONTRACTORS.COM but I'm a bit put off by what
appears to be a highly-commercial website. I guess I inherently
distrust a site that claims to "screen" all of its contractors. This
service cannot possibly be performed free of charge -- the contractor
obviously must pay money to the site to be "screened" and therein lies
the conflict of interest. I don't blame this site for their model
(indeed I don't see how they could do it any other way) but I would so
much prefer a Public, Open, Free, consumer-interactive FORUM that
allows individuals to rate ANYONE -- and post to a searchable database
BY LOCALITY on such factors as the type of job done, quality of work,
estimate vs. final cost, licensed vs. unlicensed, and credit cards
welcomed, to name a few.

There is a model in place for just this -- the Forums on CRAIGS LIST --
but to my surprise CL has not one forum dedicated to this
urgently-needed resource. Even LOCAL.COM doesn't have Forums.

The best resource for hiring (almost anyone for almost anything) is a
personal referral. But I don't have that luxury, and need a more
publicly-accessible resource. Thanks in advance for pointing out any
sites you may know of.

50-sumpin'