Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default How much force to tip over a tree

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..
I have a columnar white pine tree, about 40 feet tall and maybe
8" in daimeter at the base, I need to remove. I am considering
trying to use an old climbing rope and a come-along to winch
it out of the ground. I figure that if I attach the rope to the tree
about 30 feet from the ground, it shouldn't be too hard to winch
it over. I would used prussiks to allow me to pull it multiple winch-
fulls to move it far enough to break roots (with a little axe help maybe).
Does anyone have any idea how much force this should take?
Will it work?

Incidentally, I found this on a Warn winch site.

Pull out shrubs or pull down trees.Use

the choker chain low around the shrub,

then start pulling with the winch.The

choker chain will tighten. Small shrubs can

be pulled out by the roots.

On a larger tree, you can attach the

choker chain high up on the trunk for

leverage, then start pulling.The winch will

pull the tree over and expose roots that

could take hours to dig out. Slack the

tension on the wire rope and cut the tree

roots so the tree can be pulled loose.Use of

a snatch block to change the angle of the

pull to you to position the vehicle out of

the way should the tree fall.