Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] markharris2000@comcast.net is offline

Default How much force to tip over a tree

I think lots of great opinions here! Roots will always be an issue,
depends on how old they are, how far they travelled, how much water
they got over the life to determine which direction they travelled,
etc. Yes, Pine have larger root systems than Palms, but each tree will
be different. There is no magic answer. Key is: SAFETY! A tree this
size is DANGEROUS and can cause REAL damage to surrounding stuff (like
humans).

Suggestion: Tie a rope/chain to the top section and connect it to a
known SAFE area. Lop the tree at 25 feet or so (which will fall towards
the rope/chain), then again at 10 feet (again with the rope/chain
guiding it's descent). Dispose of those two sections. Now, dig around
the tree trunk a bit and see if you can saw the stump below grade. If
so, and if you do not plan to build anything on top of it, simply cover
it with soil and enjoy your new yard. Alternatively, get a stump
grinder to level what sticks up. They can be found for under $100 and
their machine takes 20 minutes or less to unload, grind and load.

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Bob F wrote:
wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 21:19:10 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

I have a columnar white pine tree, about 40 feet tall and maybe
8" in daimeter at the base, I need to remove. I am considering
trying to use an old climbing rope and a come-along to winch
it out of the ground. I figure that if I attach the rope to the tree
about 30 feet from the ground, it shouldn't be too hard to winch
it over. I would used prussiks to allow me to pull it multiple
winch- fulls to move it far enough to break roots (with a little
axe help maybe). Does anyone have any idea how much force this
should take?
Will it work?

Bob

You gotta be kidding !!!!!

Have you ever heard of a chainsaw?
I can guarantee that if your winch, cable, whatever you use does not
fail first, the tree will snap off somewhere along the trunk, and the
snapback will likely hurt someone and/or damage property. Cut it
down, then use the winch to help remove the stump while you dig and
chop roots.

Once it's cut, the winch is going to be a whole lot less effective.
No leverage.

Bob

Bob, I really think you are going to be a lot safer following the
advice. It may be a little more work, but think of this: If it were easier
and safe, don't you think the professional loggers would have been doing it
for years?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit