Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Plumbing Question - Galvanized and Copper

Brass is a little "yellower" than copper.

Bob

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Bob,

After looking at photos online of different brass fittings, I believe
they may have. The only photos I had viewed before were of dielectric
unions, which they definitely didn't use..but brass is a possibility
not that I think about it. They screwed the fitting in to the
galvanized section and then welded the copper to the fitting..so
hopefully the fitting is brass..it looks pretty similar to copper and I
have no idea how to tell the difference visually, but I can't imagine
the brass fitting would cost that much more than copper to the point
that they would simply not use it. I will ask them tomorrow since they
are coming by to fix a slow drip. Eventually, I'll probably just have
the 4 remaining pipes replaced, but it seems somewhat common to just
redo the horizontal piping.

On Oct 24, 2:48 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote in

ooglegroups.com...

Hello,

I had a question/concern. I have a 60 year old house that I recently
had the majority of the plumbing replaced on. The house is small with
just one bathroom/kitchen/spicket/utility tub to supply. This

weekend,
I had everything replaced but the horizontal pipes, since they were

all
in good shape and made the job much quicker/easier (cheaper). The
charge was only $1200 to install the new copper, and now I'm a bit
concerned after reading about connecting galvanized pipes to copper.
There are four spots where this was connected directly - the kitchen
(hot/cold) and the shower (hot/cold). The water main and the water
heater both have dielectric unions to prevent the materials from
corroding.

Anyway, everything is working great and in most areas, the pressure is
noticably better. I've read in some spots that connecting the two
metals will cause the galvanized pipes to deteriorate quickly, even if
the entire plumbing system is grounded. I have seen several cases

like
mine where the connection was done in the same fashion (directly), but
reading phrases like "rapidly speeds corrosion" has me a bit nervous
and wanting to just have the remaining pieces converted.

Any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated.I have been told

that a brass fitting connected between the copper
and galvanized will avoid the problem. I have also heard it doesn't
help. Did they use brass fittings to join metals?

Bob- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -