Posted to rec.woodworking
ivytheplant ivytheplant is offline

Default Worst POS Tool You Ever Bought

boorite wrote:
I didn't buy it, but I have had the frustrating experience of using one
of the new B&D jigsaws with the plastic wheel for locking down the
baseplate, which completely ruins the tool. A wing nut would be vastly
better.

Maybe it's just me, but I never had a single problem with the baseplate
of that tool. Granted I've only used it once, but I've used similar
models with similar baseplate design with no trouble at all.

The worst tools I have are from this iGo "furniture assembling kit"
that my mother bought me for some reason. It has a cordless screwdriver
and cordless drill. Both run on two AA batteries. Yup, two AA
batteries. Pretty cheesy to begin with and the bits that come with it
break too easily. Which is pretty impressive given that there's only AA
power in there.

However, I can't really fault the two items for being what they are.
They're still useful if I need to quickly drill through something soft
and I'm too impatient to wait for the battery to charge on my cordless
drill or too lazy to mess with a corded. And the screwdriver IS angled,
which is more useful than not having it. They just don't have much in
the way of power and are such light plastic I'm surprised they haven't
fallen apart or the motor burned out by now.

I'm sure I have a lot of tools that people would consider POS, but I'm
of the opinion that as long as I can do what I need with them, I don't
care if it's the hottest thing on the market that looks like a sneaker
(coughhitachicough) and will make you a sandwich. Not like I could have
afforded high end tools on a student's budget back then anyway. But if
I could have, there would have been a table saw in my dorm room first
thing.