Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Infrared Thermometer buttons?

RzB wrote:

I'm trying to make up my mind between this one...

http://tinyurl.com/yhuq3j

and this one..

http://tinyurl.com/ynxzmx

I can't work out what the extra buttons are for on the
Maplin one.

Any recommendations?
Roy

I have an earlier version of the IR-88 from CPC - and it's perfectly good
for balancing radiators, which is why I bought it.

There's another button on the RHS of the casing - which doesn't show in the
photo - which is what you press to take a reading.

The red button gives you a MAX function - so if you move it over the surface
of an object which is hotter in some places than others, it gives the
maximum temperature it finds. If you don't press this button, the displayed
temperature goes up and down as you move around.

The yellow button turns on a laser beam to (allegedly) point to the bit of
the object whose temperature is being sensed. [I say 'allegedly' because I'm
pretty certain that there's a bit of parallax - but it's good enough for
most purposes].

As far as I'm aware, it only measures on Celcius - so if Fahrenheit is
important, go for the Maplin one. Otherwise the CPC one is cheaper and does
the same job.
--
Cheers,
Roger