Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default The Stand- By demon

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:00:05 UTC, Tony Bryer
wrote:

On 24 Oct 2006 16:36:29 GMT Bob Eager wrote :
So, £10 per year if you leave the TV on standby ALL of the time. In
reality, some of that time, it will be switched on; let's say about 5
hours a day on average, or 20% of the time. You can't count that time as
'wasted standby' time, so that brings the cost per year down to £8. Even
lower if you actually turn it off for the night.

Now, that's only for one appliance, but it's the one everyone quotes and
indeed seems to imply that it's responsible for £50 on it's own.
Selective quoting. It's also the most power hungry.

£8 for one TV. Two per household on average these days I suspect. Add a
VCR, DVD player, 2 DECT phones, digital radio off a mains adaptor and I'm
probably heading for £50. I do turn off the adaptor to my ADSL router when
I'm not using it, but that's more for security than power saving - I
suspect that lots of people leave them on.

I agree...although I doubt that all of them use that much each. But
there's a strong implication, in the publicity, that the figure is *per
appliance*.