Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Wiring re-model work: NM + nailplates vs. BX behind baseboard

In article , "John Grabowski" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you everyone for taking time out to help. I have access to one
wall from a crawl space, but from there I'm on my own. I think running
the NM cable sideways will be cleaner and keep the plaster damage down
to a minimum.

Notching the stud and getting the nail plate in would be impossible
without severing the lathe straps, which are mounted directly onto the
stud. The studs are also sideways back-to-back, not like newer
construction, so I'd have to drill through 4" of elderly timber.
Couldn't I just sneak the cable in between the straps of lathe and
cover that with plates? That does sound remarkably easy, though. Too
easy.

With the studs flat like that you will not have enough depth in the wall to
install a decent size outlet box so that you could go from outlet to outlet.

Yes, he will. A lath-and-plaster wall is typically about 3/4" thick, which
allows a 2 1/4" deep box even with the studs laid flat.

If you will be using 14/2 NM you could just notch some of the wood lathe to
fit the cable through and put a nail plate over the wood lathe.

Not necessary to notch the lath. There should be plenty of room to lay 14-2
between the lath strips -- but it does need to be covered by a plate.

--
Regards,