Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison Robert Allison is offline

Default How much force to tip over a tree

HeyBub wrote:
Robert Allison wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

I have no idea but I can tell you a palm tree can easily be pushed
over with a tractor.

The roots on palm trees are about six inches long. In LA, people
STEAL palm trees with a wrecker - just pluck-n-go.

On a pine, there is more tree BELOW ground than above.

That is not true. Pine trees have a small root ball, and are
very prone to being blown over. They are very easy to knock
down as I know from experience. I owned a logging company in
East Texas (unfortunately during the Carter administration).

Well, that doesn't speak too well for your business acumen, does it?

I had no control over the politics of the decade. I did,
however, have control over my costs. While others were
purchasing their equipment, I was leasing. When the bottom
fell out of the construction industry and it became
increasingly difficult to find mills to buy logs, I was able
to get out of the business. Others had huge notes to pay and
many went bankrupt. I don't really get to count that as
tremendous business acumen as much as it was just plain dumb luck.

Our skidder could easily push over a 10-12" pine. No way with
an oak or a hickory. Part of my side work was to remove pines
blown over by high winds. Oaks would snap in half. Oaks ARE
larger underground than above, but this is not true of pines.

Okay. You caught me. I exaggerated. Let me restate.

"Almost ALL trees have MORE organic matter below ground than they do above.
Not just pines."

It should be: Except for pines and a few other species.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.