Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default no volume contol

meggowatt16 wrote:
my volume conrol is in the gray area and it says i have no mixing
device so i cant listen to any music on my computer i need serious
help.

Go to Control Panel, Multimedia, Audio tab and look in the "Playback"
section. It will show you the "Preferred device" (which apparently
isn't working). There is a drop down window there showing you other
devices you can use...there may be none but if there are try selecting
another and see if things work now. If not or if there are no
alternative devices look in "Audio Devices" on the "Device" tab.
Select the device and check its properties to be sure it is enabled.

If still no joy, you need to reinstall your sound card driver(s).

Go to Device manager (Win key + Pause/Break) in the appropriate
section (probably "Sound, video and gaming controllers"). Do any have
a yellow exclamation mark? If so, that is faulty.

Select (highlight) the proper entry, remove it and reboot. Windows
will locate a new device when you reboot and install the correct
driver...if it is a 3rd party sound card you'll need the installation
CD; if it is a Windows driver, you'll probably need your Windows
installation CD.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...