Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default The Stand- By demon

At the place where I work they are embarking on a campaign on energy
reduction (no issues here) but they keep beating on about TVs left on
standby. Apparently it is going to destroy the planet.

I checked my 4 year old (CRT) TV - it claims to use only 0.8 of a watt on
standby. I guess this is becoming typical - and I only use standby if I
switch off during normal viewing times (so it is completely off between bed
time and early evening) Yet the publicity being used claims £50 per
household for stuff on standby.

I have been looking for some sort of ball park cost per unit of electricity
that I can put into a response to our Environmental guy but can't find one.

Any ideas (Shouldn't have shredded old bills)?

Whilst this campaigning is going on some areas are buying stuff whilst other
ends of the factory are dumping stuff - leading to un-necessary production
of furniture, tools and other equipment. But it is nice to look through
glossy catalogues and buy new stuff if you are so empowered!