Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Where is a a shaver socket powered from?

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:50:19 +0100 someone who may be "Chris Styles"
wrote this:-

I have a shaver socket in my bathroom and I've just fitted a next to it
which I now need to get power to for the lights that are built in.

A cabinet I presume.

My new place doesn't have cavity walls, so I was wandering if I can power
the mirror from the back of the shaver socket. It doesn't seem too
unreasonable as the mirror lights are 100w, but powering a shaver socket
and mirror lights from one spur seems like it might be bad form.

Firstly find out what the shaver socket is fed from, by removing
fuses/switching off circuit breakers from the consumer unit.

If it is fed from the lighting circuit then this can be extended to
the cabinet.

If it is fed from another circuit check that there is a suitable
fuse in the cable that feeds the shaver socket. If there is then
this cable can be extended to the cabinet.

Either way beware of acceptable cable runs and supplementary
bonding. In England or Wales beware of John Prescott's stupid scheme
to make electrical systems more dangerous while putting money into
the hands of various organisations.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh