Artemia Salina

Default Hardening and Tempering SAE 1045

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:40:44 +0000, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Artemia Salina" wrote in message
news
Is there any reason that wrought
or cast iron was preferred back when that book was written? Was it
just what was most commonly available back then, or is there some
advantage to it over, say, steel?

I really don't know. There are boats and muffles made of sheet steel today,
so my guess is that it doesn't matter. But I'd double check that before
betting anything on it.

True, stainless steel tool wrap is another example, I think. Or is that
just used to seal out oxygen during heat treating?

Of course, acquiring the hooves and horns will be another problem! :-)

Charred leather or rawhide is supposed to be good. You could get one of
those rawhide bones at the pet shop and toss it on the barbie. g

As a point of info, that description does say that old shoe leather and
belting is _not_ suitable material for case hardening. It must be the
"impurities" in that leather from the tanning process (and possibly shoe
polish?) that make it unsuitable. Doesn't say anything about chewy toys
though! :-)

--
"Please God, help me cleanse the computer of viruses and evil photographs
that disturb and ruin my work ..., so that I shall be able to cleanse