Pete & sheri

Default Hardening and Tempering SAE 1045

Whatever you do, the oil must contain NO water. If it does your whole
quench container can explode from steam formed when the hot part hits
the water. If in doubt, heat the oil to beyond the boiling point of
water first to get rid of any water. Then let it cool to about room
temp before using it.
When yo use it, avoid the tendancy to let the part drop to the
bottom of the quench container, because that's where the water may lurk.

I don't think you will be able to tell any difference between various
oils in this application. I use used crankcase oil for this regularly.
I agree with other posters that, in future, use 4140 or O1 for
something like this.

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------

Jay wrote:

Hello all

I would like to Harden and temper a tool I made out of 1045
steel. I have all the temperatures and holding times needed, but as
for a quenching medium, I have a slight problem.

An oil bath is better than water, but I dont have the proper oil. I
dont want to use motor oil, even though the part is submerged, I dont
want to explode.

I was thinking vegetable oil would do fine...

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jay