Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Replacing hose bib - How tight is tight?

"Jay Steiner" wrote in message
I recently replaced a hose bib valve for my washing machine. Rather
then screw around with corroding stems and washers for the old one in
bad shape, I just installed a ball valve (quarter turn) bib. The whole
valve screws into a threaded elbow on the wall. I wrapped the threads 2
times with teflon tape and installed it.

The problem I had was that with the handle pointing up and the outlet
pointing down, it was just barely tight enough to require a wrench. I
attempted to tighten it more, but after just a 1/2 turn, it was
threatening to be overtightened. I backed off the 1/2 turn, but when I
turned on the water there was a tiny leak.

So what do you do when a valve needs to be installed so it is oriented
with the handle up, but it also needs to be tight? I ended up replacing
the teflon tape with more of it. (I think 3 1/2 times wrapped around)
and there were no leaks. But is that the right thing to do?

I had occasion to watch "pros" install some gas piping for a furnace.
They used pipe "dope" and really reefed on the connections to tighten
them - they really worked at it. Far tighter than I would have done
previously.

Bob