Posted to rec.woodworking
Marty Phee Marty Phee is offline

Default Unisaw Bullet motor problem. Need help

Check over on owwm.org. Many people are familiar with that type of
motor over there.

sailor wrote:
I have an older Unisaw with a 1 hp Bullet motor.

It started acting up today. When I turn it on, it runs at reduced speed
for about 10 seconds, then kicks in to hi speed.

Sometines when it is turned on it just makes an unhappy hum. I then
rotate the blade a bit, and turn on again, and it starts and runs at
reduced speed for about 10 seconds, then kicks in to hi speed.

When it is running at reduced speed, the brushes (lots of brush left)
arc a bit. When it kicks to hi speed, the arcing stops. I think the
brushes might be just for starting.

Anyone familiar with these motors, and have an idea of the problem?

Thanks