Posted to uk.d-i-y
Codswallop Codswallop is offline

Default replacement glass

"AJH" wrote:
A pigeon has just crashed into the window beside me and managed to fly
off, the window is broken. It's a 46mm by 88mm pane set in a fixed
metal casement with only 20mm rebate. Before I replace the glass I
thought I'd just ask if there were any point in trying to replace with
a double glazing unit, plainly there's not enough depth for a wide
gapped unit nor for traditional putty fixing. Also I think double
glazed units need to be able to "breathe" so they cannot be set in
putty??

AJH

If you can't source a sealed double glazed unit it would be worth
considering replacement with 4mm thick glass if the original was standard
3mm glass. It would be a bit stronger should any more pigeons decide to go
kamikaze. You could probably claim on your buildings insurance.