Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Fischer Tim Fischer is offline

Default What to do with these stairs?

wrote in message
oups.com...

Tim Fischer wrote:
Are you going to recarpet? Is there a reason you don't like the
"artificial
extensions"? Seems like lots less work to just replace them and
recarpet.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

No recarpenting. Getting the stairs refinished.

In that case, what are the treads made out of? From the pic it doesn't look
like a 'good' wood, but maybe it just looks that way.

Assuming you're not going to replace the treads, then I guess I'd either go
with your option #1, or remove each tread, cut it back so that it no longer
overhangs the stringer, then add a new 'extension' out of the same wood
which is the width of the tread plus the extension.

-Tim