john

Default Hardening and Tempering SAE 1045

Jay wrote:

Hello all

I would like to Harden and temper a tool I made out of 1045
steel. I have all the temperatures and holding times needed, but as
for a quenching medium, I have a slight problem.

An oil bath is better than water, but I dont have the proper oil. I
dont want to use motor oil, even though the part is submerged, I dont
want to explode.

I was thinking vegetable oil would do fine...

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jay

you have to understand what you are trying to do... cool the part at a
certain rate and do it evenly.... Each oil has a different rate of heat
absorption so the different oils will give you different results.
Steels have varying requirements depending on the type. There are oil
hardening, air hardening and some are done in brine.
Dropping the piece in a bucket will give you poor results since there
will be uneven heat loss and the part hardness wont be consistent. the
oil should be circulated or the part agitated in the oil.... also the
oil should not be cold since it will tend to form cracks in the metal in
some tool steels. If you keep the part submerged it will not smoke and
will not explode. The quantity of oil must cover the piece completely or
it will smoke and catch fire. don't hesitate when you plunge it into the
oil and don't pull it out until it is cool.

John