Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Tape measure in Tenths of an inch

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 07:53:59 -0500, "DanG" wrote:

Pat,

I, too, use 1/8's for calling out cuts with helpers. It has
nothing to do with anyone's abilities, it has more to do with
sound levels on a construction site. We tend to use the "3 and 7"
or the "22 and 6" pattern. It can even be done with hand signals
in extreme situations.

I had not considered going to tenths, but I do use them outdoors
on long tapes and shooting grade. It is hard for some of my guys
to shift gears. Maybe we should all move to tenths, but it means
lots of new tape measures. It might be more simple to force them
to work metric. It is a change that it is long overdue.

I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal is with reading rules
and tape measures. Wouldn't 5 minutes with a guy who can't do it fix
the problem? If it doesn't, why not set him to stacking lumber or
carrying shingles until he learns, or just can him? Way I see it, if
a guy can't read a tape measure, he has no business putting up a
building. That's Framing 101, IMO.

As far as your initial comment goes, that's fine enough. I've worked
with crews that use the same method. But personally, I've always felt
that things hould be as accurate as possible for the long-term
duribility of the building. Never liked 1/16" gaps all over- seems
like years of shaking in heavy winds and storms would weaken things
considerably, as well as allowing crap to collect in the joints and
speed up the fasteners' corrosion.