Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jhaverson@gmail.com is offline

Default Wiring help - Outet replacement

Hi -
I am in the process of replacing seveal outlets in my home. I have
made it successfully through 5, but the 6th is posing a problem. The
oulet that I am replacing had 3 white wires total - 1 inserted into the
top left back, one to the bottom left screw, and inserted directly into
the bottom left back.

With the new outlet that I am using, I am not using the rear inputs - I
am only using the screws on either side. My question is this - what do
I do with the 2 white wires that had been hooked up to the bottom left
of the old outlet? The screw on the new outlet is not long enough to
connect them both to...

Do I cut a small wire, connect the original 2 whites in addition to the
small new wire and run the small wire to the bottom left screw? Any
other options?

Thanks for the help.