Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Identify faucet stem brand/part name

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"Rich Greenberg" wrote in message
In article , Jay Steiner wrote:
Bill Stock wrote:

[...]

It's hard to tell the type of valve from your description. It sounds like
it is
not a ball valuve, which I would recommend replacing your main shut-off
valve
(and any other shut-off valve that you care about) with a ball valve at
your
next opportunity; they last a *long* time without going bad.

I was thinking about this after I sent the message, it's just an angle
stop like on a toilet shutoff. Only much bigger.

Regarding the outside shut off that the water department used, was it
marked
above ground or have a visible cover to get to it? If my shut off inside
the
house ever fails, or the run of pipe before the shut off ever fails, I'm
at the
mercy of my water department to come out and *find* the shut off. For
some
reason the shut offs (assuming it exists) in my 1960s era neighborhood
are well
covered over. I'm very curious to know where it is, and I'd be willing
install a cover so it can be accessed quickly if needed.

Is your water metered? Do you know where the meter is? The shut-off
valve is USUALLY right next to the meter. If its the type which needs
the T-Handle wrench, it will appear (from above) to be a metal bar about
2-3 inches long and 1/4 wide. If you are in an area of hard freezes,
the valve itself may be several feet down, below the frost line. You
may have to do some searching.

By the way, did the water department charge you another $60 turn the
water back
on? Having your own wrench seems like a good idea, you should be able
to find
them at a decent plumbing house.

Yes, they dinged me another $60 to turn it back on. I don't know if it's
$60 per trip or $60 per turn. LOL. So if my repair had leaked, would I be
out another $60 + $60. Fortunately I did not need to find out and the guy
did not wait around in any event.

Yes water is metered, but the shutoff valve is buried well below ground
(frost line) at the street and the meter is inside the house. I gather the
$60 is a deterrent to prevent DIY from annoying them, but you'd think
they'd waive it for emergencies.

Since I'm in Canada, it probably is illegal to DIY. Otherwise the
guvermint couldn't make a buck.

Stem packing can generally be replaced without removing the stem. Just turn
the valve off, remove the handle, then unscrew the bonnet.
If the valve is not a common modern valve you will probably have to check
with a plumber or plumbing supply house to find one. I would think it will
probably outlast the rest of the plumbing.

Don Young